Flora fountain in Mumbai
Flora Fountain is the heart of Mumbai. It is situated at the southern most part of Dadabhai Naoroji Road of Mumbai. This beautiful sculpture was built in the year 1864. This is a sculpture with a mixture of water and architechture which represent the Roman goddess Flora.The Total money used for making Flora fountain was 47,000 INR. Every day hundreds of tourists come here to see this beautiful sculpture.
This Flora fountain is a historic sculpture of the time when the Old Bombay fort was a part of Sir Bartle Frere in 1860's. This fort was built exactly where the St. Thomas Cathedral stood with Mumbai fort before their demolition. The design of given by R. Norman Shaw and was made with Portland Stones. The four corners of the fountain are very decorative. This fountain was named Flora fountain to show the respect of Roman Goddess of Flowers, Flora. The famous Hutatma Chowk is also present here where five streets meets. This Chowk is also known as Picadilly Circus of Mumbai. Today, this beautiful sculpture keeps on attracting tourists with its beauty and sprayings of water. Also, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly built this Hutatma Chowk in Mumbai near Flora Fountain as a memorial to the people who sacrificed on Police firing on November 1955. This is a very nice place to visit. You must come here to see this beautiful sculpture of Mumbai.
Below is the English version of the poem written by Niranaja Bhagat to represent the beauty of Flora fountain-
A Glass and concrete jungle,
In its midst always
With hope filled face,
A dream of spring in her matchless eyes,
holding in both hands stone flowers.
About her, in all corners,
Iron butterfly fly round and round
And life less insects plays
Tourist attractions in Flora Fountain
* The Statue of Goddess Flora at the top of the Flora fountain attracts most of the tourists.
* The area around the Flora fountain is a perfect place for tourist to shop as many stores are situated there.
* Under the distance of 3.2kms to the Flora fountain, one can also see many more tourist attraction of Mumbai such as Gateway of India, University of Mumbai and the old Secretariat etc.
* The Flora fountain of Mumbai is surrounded by a fence so that visitors get a perfect look of it from outside and no one dares to damage the sculpture.
How to reach Flora fountain
* One can easily reach this place by walking from Shivaji Terminus Railway Station and Church Gate Railway Station.You can also take taxi or bus from here to reach Flora fountain.
* Also Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation i.e. MTDC also provides a view tour for tourists and this also includes Flora fountain. So, one can also contact MTDC for viewing Flora fountain.
Hotels near Flora fountain
* Hotel Marine Plaza in Mumbai
29.marine Dr. Churchgate Mumbai 20, Mumbai, IN 400020 India
* Intercontinental Marine Drive in Mumbai
135 Marine Dr., Mumbai, WA 400020 India
* Vivanta by Taj President in Mumbai
90 Cuffe Parade, Mumbai, 400005 India
* Sea Princess in Mumbai
Juhu Tara Rd., Mumbai, MS 400049 India
* Hotel Highway Residency in Mumbai
Bamanwada Near Chakala Cigaratte Factory Andheri, Mumbai, 400099 India