What is Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
Until now, we came across cases where even if we don't like the service provided by the network service provider, we stick to the same service provider. The reason being, we don't want to change the mobile number that we are using since long back. Now, with MNP we are in a position where we can retain our own mobile number even if we change the service provider.
Mobile Number Portability in India
Though we are talking about this service since an earlier period, finally it came into the reality now only. The facility will be available to the Indian people from today that is 20th January, 2011.
Cost of Mobile Number Portability
Though a number of countries are providing this service free of cost, here we have to pay a marginal charge of INR 19/-.
Steps for Mobile Number Portability
First, you need to obtain an eight digit code by sending an SMS to 1900 with the subject line "PORT
Timeline for MNP procedure
The whole procedure of switching from one operator to another operator will take around 7 working days.
Key Points of Mobile Number Portability
1. Mobile numbers with in the same circle can only be ported.
2. For pre-paid customer, the balance or the talk time available in your mobile can not be carried forward to the new operator.
3. For post paid customers, you can only opt for the change once you clear all the pending bills of the existing operator.
4. You can switch from GSM to CDMA and vice-versa.
5. You would be allowed to use this service only once in 90 days.